Snoring is a common problem that people might not be aware of. It can defined as a loud breathing sound during sleep that is caused by the vibration of the soft palate (the soft part of the roof of the mouth). Snoring is normal, but in rare cases can be a sign of a serious medical problem like sleep apnea.
What are the main causes of snoring?
- Not known cause.
- Chronic nasal congestion.
- Too much alcohol or sedation.
- Enlarged adenoids and tonsils.
- Sleep apnea (episodes of no breathing).
What can I do to reduce snoring?
- Avoid sleeping on the back.
- Weight loss can reduce snoring.
- Avoid drinking alcohol before bedtime.
- Using an appliance can help, like snore guard.
- Always check with your health provider.
About the Author